About Us

A brief history of the Parish Church of Saint Michael and All Angels, Winnipeg.

Saint Michael and All Ang
els was founded as a mission on November 13, 1904 by the Parish of All Saints, one of the rather large, fashionable parishes of Winnipeg. Soon after, the Rector, the Rev’d Frank Smith, invited the Anglo-Catholics among his parish to be responsible for the new Mission.

Father Haslam, the first permanent Mission priest, instituted the Sung Mass as the principal Sunday service on Low Sunday, April 14, 1907. The daily mass began soon after on May 27th, 1907. On September 23, 1910 Archbishop Samuel Pritchard Matheson created S. Michael’s as a parish with a small distinct geographical boundary, which meant little in those early days as the Anglo-Catholics in the city had to travel from many districts to attend and support their new parish.

Always a small parish, it was a real act of Faith, Hope and Love, when the foundation stone was laid for the present limestone building, on June 17, 1920. The architect, Henry William Greene, designed the church in the Romanesque style after a church in Italy dedicated to S. Michael. The Mission Building was moved from across the street to serve as the parish hall.




Father Turney S.S.J.E. arrived from Bracebridge on November 1, 1930 and served as the Parish priest for years. He was a familiar sight in the streets in his cassock and had a marvelous ministry among the boys of the neighbourhood (including Terry Fox’s father and uncle) and especially any who had gotten into trouble with the police.

On August 1, 1970, an arsonist set fire to the church and major interior renovations had to be made which we still enjoy to this day.

Since 1977 improvements have continued to be made on both the exterior and interior of the Church, the Parish Hall, the Offices and the Rectory with generous  support of the entire Parish Family.

Although we are one of the smaller Anglican parishes in the city, we are the only one with a daily Mass. The rite used is the English Missal with the Canadian Book of Common Prayer Canon (Consecration Prayer).

The Book of Common Prayer is used for the Sunday Offices of Mattins and Evensong. On most Sundays from September to June, Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament follows Solemn Evensong, supported by members of the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament. A C.B.S. Ward has existed at S. Michael’s since the early days of the Parish.

While the Sunday Sung Mass and Feast Day High Masses are celebrated at the High Altar, the Low Mass on Sundays and weekdays is celebrated in the Lady Chapel (the first in Canada to be dedicated to Our Lady of Walsingham). Although the Liturgy is basically traditional in appearance (the Eastward celebration) it is a blend of both contemporary (Lectionary, Intercessions, Kiss of Peace) and traditional (Ritual Notes, eleventh edition).




The Parish supports outreach projects either through personal service or donations. A weekly service is held in the Convalescent Home of Winnipeg (a Nursing Home two blocks away from the Church). Donations are collected throughout October for Winnipeg Harvest (a local food bank). The Ministry of the Sisters of the Society of Saint Margaret in Haiti is supported by S. Michael's. A Neighbourhood B.B.Q. is organized annually early in September and is free to all who come. Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper also provides an opportunity for further outreach projects  which vary from year to year.

Many opportunities are offered to both Parishioners and visitors for Worship, Fellowship and Service.

 

The original Mission Church.